The Pousada do Porto, Freixo Palace Hotel, opened in October 2009 and is the first Portuguese Pousada in the Oporto city.
The adaptation of the Pousada do Porto, inserted in a palace which has been classified as a National Monument since 1910, was by architect David Sinclair and decorated by architect James Mitchell. The building is located on the banks of the Douro River, named after the famous Wine Region in Portugal, which dates back to Roman times.
Situated just a few kilometres from Guimarães, the European Culture Capital 2012, the Freixo Palace is a beautiful example of Portuguese civil baroque.
Characterised by its sumptuous eighteenth century construction, the work originally was authorised by the celebrated Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni. Nicolau Nasoni was one of the most significant architects of the Oporto city with an important contribution to the Historic Heritage where attention is also given to the Tower of the Clergy, ex-libris of the city. At the time of construction the Tower of the Clergy was considered to be the highest building in Portugal standing at 75 metres high.
Free Premium Internet access, Business Center, Safe at reception, Smoke alarms, Laundry, 24h Reception, Room service, Sprinklers in the public areas, Multilingual staff, Mode of payment accepted: Cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, ATM, Free transfer to the city center